Thread: Stove stories
View Single Post
Old 09-18-22, 08:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Can a Multi fuel stove like MSR be made adaptable for the prevalent fuel source in each region? ...
Different fuel types have different air to fuel mixture ratios. Thus different jets are often needed to get the right air to fuel mixture.

Some stoves claim to be able to handle multiple fuels with a single jet, such as Optimus Nova. But my Nova clearly has yellow tipped flames on kerosene, suggesting insufficient oxygen in the air to fuel ratio. That said, most petroleum based fuels have a wide range of ratios that will work, so you can often use a fuel well out of the ideal range. In other words, a yellow tipped flame will still cook your meal, thus in that regard it does work. But you could produce carbon monoxide if too rich a ratio, that is not a problem outside but could be a problem where there is not much air exchange for breathing.

In my previous post number 28 above, I stated:

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Primus Omnifuel stove can use white gas, kerosene, and also and be threaded onto the threaded type canisters.
The Omnifuel comes with three different jets for that purpose. And with the right adapter you could also use the nozzle type butane mix canisters.