Old 09-18-22, 11:11 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
we both know the athletes are a half-step, or more, ahead of the testers-regardless of the professional sport. i've just assumed every athlete is pushing the envelope, legally or otherwise, in the last four decades.
doesn't diminish my enjoyment of various sports. when someone gets outed/caught/compromised, it's not a surprise or disappointment for me. then again...it's just entertainment for me. dunno how many "fans" fall into my
trench vs other trenches. still waiting for the other operation puerto shoe to drop on the football guys...but since we're talking billions of dollars involved on the football end, haven't been holding my breath
for nearly two decades on that front.

sky is the limit for remco. other than mixing it up with the sprinters (maybe i missed it), dude is capable of anything. his only limitation is the team format and their needs/wants vs his.
kinda like the old joke about dean smith being the only guy that could hold michael jordan to less than 20 points a game.
I fall into your "trench". I spent about 10 years as a youth and adult soccer official. I liked the philosophy that players should just do what they needed to do to win and leave the rest to the refs.
In soccer, when the game was over, the game was over. If later video or other proof showed something was not seen or called, they don't go back and change it. See Maradona Hand of God goal. He later admitted he used his hand to score the goal. That goal stands. A World Cup affected by that.

That cycling can't do the same is a disappointment.
The entertainment part of sports, especially cycling extends beyond what happens in races.
A pro getting caught for something is not the same to me as one who didn't. That can be anything from drugs, to violence, to gambling, to injury outside the competition. It all "counts".

That Eddie got caught is why I don't see him better than those that were not caught.

FWIW I believe that Sastra and Evans really won their tours clean. The current maybe so, maybe not. Like you, I don't really care other than wanting the results frozen on that final podium.
Likes For Doge: