Old 09-22-22, 07:39 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6257 Post(s)
Liked 4,281 Times in 2,399 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
On the contrary, I always look at roads with cyclist eyes. My excuse isn't much of an excuse, just enough to make me not want to commute. I've been a bike commuter for almost 15 years in various cities, so I am familiar with route making. Within the past 6 years or so (coincides with when I moved to my current place of residence), the benefits of commuting no longer outweighed the simplicity of driving. This is a function of an eroded enthusiasm for bike commuting overall, a lessened tolerance for suboptimal bike commuting conditions, and just an easier car commute.

My current commute really isn't bad on a bike, and while there are a number of different ways I can take to make the trip, the one referenced in my earlier post would be my preferred route if I were to bike. Lots of other comments have already made the point (infrastructure, design, safety, etc) but I blame the city zoning and the segregating impact of our highways. I live in a residential area that not too long ago was predominately commercial. I work in an office park that is purely commercial. The bird flies across two highways and two rail road tracks to get to one from the other. The nicest bike route among the various options is the one I complained about. And really it's not that bad it's just I don't want to get a flat tire, get hit by a car, and routinely deal with left turn lights that aren't optimized for bikes on my way to work.
So its less of a case of not “wanting” to bicycle commute than “not being able to” bicycle commute. That’s two very different things. It’s okay if you don’t want to but please don’t say you can’t.

It's really hard going against the design intent, when most of the city I live in is designed for cars. They've put in more bike lanes and safety features in the downtown core, but the design (which zoning is related to) is lacking for a lifestyle cyclist. Every year we get these surveys "tell us where you want bike lanes" they really should be asking "what amenities and services do you want to have within a 5 mile radius of your home".
Again, most cities weren’t really “designed” for cars. Most of them…at least a substantial proportion of the city…existed before cars came into being. Yes, there are towns that were designed and built after cars came into being but, for the most cities, cars were added in after the city was built. Denver, for example, has about a 10 to 15 mile diameter (that’s 175 square miles) that existed prior to cars. Even the suburbs that Denver grew to meet existed prior to cars and have their own areas designed for other traffic than cars.

A “lifestyle cyclist” will make even those places that were designed for cars someplace they can, and will, ride.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!