mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Incorrect.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Because it is incorrect. If they are blinded by the sun, why aren't there multiple crashes on every road that faces a sunrise or sunset. Motorists wouldn't be able to see any other road users or any traffic signs if they were blinded by the sun, right?
Sigh. The world isn’t binary, and bicycles are usually smaller than automobiles. But even drivers need to be careful.

People *MAY* have trouble seeing. Be careful out there.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Speaking of bad driving, this was yesterday in the Minuteman National Park. Since so many of us ride these roads with low sun, just a reminder.

With the gap in oncoming traffic, and the long shadows pointing RIGHT at the driver in the truck, I knew he may not see me. (I had my lights on too!) Oh, my lane position? The lane.

It's gonna be a bright bright Sun-shiney day!

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Since in North America this is the time of year where sun is most troublesome for people on bikes, I want to expand a bit.

Going into the direction of the sun is only ONE of the problems, where not only are YOU having trouble seeing, but people behind you are also having trouble seeing.

But anytime *you* have a long shadow, your long shadow POINTS to people who may not see you.

So if your long shadow is pointing to 12 o'clock, oncoming people may not see you. Left crosses and pull outs are more likely with your back to the sun.

Similarly, if you are crossing an intersection and your long shadow points at either 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock, people in that direction may not see you.

AND, if you can see long shadows pointing AT you, even if you can't see the sun be aware that you may not see something in that long shadow.

-mr. bill

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill: