View Single Post
Old 09-26-22, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,423 Times in 8,136 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
This. And if you do need to leave it / lock it someplace, make it harder to steal than any other bike around it.
Yep.

I have told this story before...Several years ago I locked my Surly LHT fitted with over $400 worth of racks to a bike rack outside an large indoor public market. Used a Kryptonite U-lock with a thick cable for the front wheel. At the same time I was securing my bike, a woman next to me was locking her older Trek aluminum road bike right next to mine using a flimsy chain. She went inside the market. I went down to the far corner to get a newspaper. As I was walking back tot he market maybe 5 min. later I saw a tweaker looking dude speeding the wrong way on the woman's Trek. Over his shoulder was slung a small gym bag, which probably held his cutting tools. My guess is that he was laying in wait for someone who didn't take security serious enough in that setting. (Like I wrote above, situational awareness. We were on a public street in the 6th most populous city the U.S., not in an empty (or near empty) campground two miles from the nearest public road.)

I went inside the market and found the woman. I told her what had happened. She said "Oh well. I didn't feel like bringing my good lock."
Likes For indyfabz: