Old 09-28-22, 10:42 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You might try taking a picture of the whole bike, so we can see the whole cockpit better, and see what the real drop is.

Fit problems and numb hands can be counterintuitive. You get numb hands, you think, "I'm putting too much pressure on my hands. My bars must be too low", but it might be the opposite! I got a new bike a couple years ago, a Canyon, so I had to set it up myself. I set the saddle height and setback to match my other bikes, but the handlebar I left as it came, with all the spacers under the stem. I went out for the maiden voyage and my hands started going numb almost immediately, and the saddle was the most uncomfortable thing I'd ever had my ass on. I thought, "Oh, man! Did I just waste $2400?"

But I couldn't face the idea of having wasted so much money! So, I measured the other bikes carefully and confirmed that the Canyon's bar was actually an inch HIGHER than theirs. I moved 25mm of the spacers to ABOVE the stem, putting the bar at the same height as the other bikes. I also swapped the torture device for one I knew works for me, and ever since then, no matter how far I ride, my hands neither go numb nor hurt on that bike. So, it isn't always that the bar is too low.

Another thing about tilting the saddle. I have to run mine level. SLIGHT nose down and I feel like I'm being thrown onto the bars. SLIGHT nose up and I feel like I have to reach way out for them.
1mm of saddle tilt doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. I can feel it. My original fit was nose down 2 degrees, and like you I felt like I was being chunked onto the bars.

I've got about 50 miles after an adjustment up to nose down only 1 degree. I may go up another 1 degree to level.

This gizmo is really handy for relative saddle tilt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFADV8S...roduct_details