TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked 3,414 Times in 1,788 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I've always enjoyed the racing. I tried very hard to do intervals when I first started racing, and it totally burned me out. Since I like racing more than I like training, I decided to focus on the racing. I didn't do intervals for 30 years (1984 to 2015) until I signed up for an experiment that used VO2Max intervals in early 2015. Probably limited my development but I always enjoyed racing.

Also, as a rider not even close to being pro or whatever, I was never under the pressure to "do better". I enjoy doing the best I can, and when I'm particularly good (for me), it just means more pressure.

I think that my non-interval approach to training has allowed me to enjoy racing even after 40 seasons (a few pretty short due to Covid, but a solid 10 years of racing 40-55 races a year at a time where I didn't do midweek races).

So I say stop with the intervals and have fun on the bike.
I'd like to add that there are many on the opposite of the training/racing fence, like myself. Racing takes a lot of time and energy away from relaxing at home, especially since there aren't many events in San Diego any more. If there was a crit series within an hour from home, I'd support it every time.

I learned during the pandemic that I like the training as much (maybe more???) than the actual racing. It gives me something to be disciplined about and execute on, and leaves me feeling great for much of the day after. Just my personality type.