View Single Post
Old 10-24-22, 03:01 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I ride almost every day and if I just stuck to fair weather and light conditions would never go out. All my bikes are equipped with lights both forward and back. Also have the $25 amazon helmet light set to strobe. I also have a headlamp fashioned to my helmet but leave it off most of the time due to weight having caused neck issues so the strap stays but I keep the light off except for trails in the dark and only use it for night mountain bike riding. It sounds extreme but it isn't dangerous at all courtesy of how good and bright modern bike lights are. If you go with more than one person ( never do night MTB alone because of animals like bear, mountain lion, deer sized coyotes even deer can be aggressive it's their territory after all) the total available light is so much it's totally fine.

Another benefit to dark riding is those are the times on road for example that there are the least cars. Most accidents happen during rush hour. A lot of people are anxious or tell me what a bad idea going out at 8pm is but the truth is that I live in a somewhat rural suburbanish area with wide main roads. If I go for a 1 hour ride at that time I could count on the fingers on one hand during that time the total cars that pass by me vs taking mere seconds at like 4pm and commuting somewhere. The probabilities are in my favor at that hour. And the lights are REALLY good and so is the warmth afforded by modern clothing so why not?
Likes For Attilio: