Old 10-25-22, 06:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Fellas, to each their own...yes, internal routing of the cabling and hoses up through the headset and in the handlebar takes a little extra time to set up and adjust than if the hoses and cables are exposed in those places. But, how often is someone fiddling with the brake hoses and wires up around the cockpit? Of the things about bikes that frustrate me...wait, there's nothing about bikes that frustrate me.

I say this is really much ado about nothing. eduskator, get the BMC if it inspires something in you. The bike looks fast, and it'll be a joy to ride. That's all the rationale you need!

I can understand it may be hard to fit 4 wires/cables inside a fork tube, but with wireless shifting, it should be a lot better. I mean, 2 brake hoses that do not require maintenance at all (unless there is a crash and they break)?

Originally Posted by Branko D
TCR tests surprisingly fast in the wind tunnel, Giants are not known to have trouble given the volumes sold and actually manufacture bikes for a whole lot of bike brands, being one of the biggest bike makers in the world. You see, Giant isn’t purely a bike brand, it is a bike manufacturer.

BMC has had mixed reviews quality wise.

Would go for a Giant myself.
Yep - it's hard to buy something else when you had quality at a great price but sometimes you still need a change! I may stay with Giant once I see the 2023 Propel in person. I also hope they'll put internal cable routing on their high-end TCRs at some point.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Internal cabling through handlebar, stem, and head tube definitely sucks for the mechanics who charge per job rather than by the hour. No matter how good one is, that setup just takes longer to assemble or adjust.

As a tinkerer shopping for my first disc brake bike, I would happily accept a few inches of exposed hydraulic tubing and Di2 wiring to bypass the stem and a lumen within the head tube. Internal cabling within the handlebar, downtube, and chain stays is good enough for me. I would take convenience of reassembly and adjustment over the 0.25W advantage.
I think it's more of an appearance thing rather than a power saving feature (well, for me at that price tag at least). It just looks a lot cleaner IMO. Just like our stems slammed to the ground, right?