Old 11-01-22, 02:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Sorry for the radio silence. It took me a while to get back to this. I tore down the bottom bracket to check a couple things. One, it is British threaded (not what I would have expected) and the shell measures 68.1mm.

I measured the Raleigh 16GC spindle as well. It measured 132mm tip-to-tip. the distance between the bearing races is 55mm, with 45mm sticking out to the drive side and 33mm to the non-drive side. I measured a gap of about 10mm between the inner chainring and the chainstay. Ideally, I think something like a 130mm spindle with 40-41mm on the right and 35-36mm on the left would work much better than the Raleigh-specific spindle.

juvela thanks for the recommendation of a cotter vise. I don't really intend to get neck deep in alligators cottered cranks, so I will take a pass on this (unless simply falls into my lap). Building the Automoto is more an exercise in baroque components than a new career. Mad Honk if you've got something, let me know off-list. (I will also check the local co-ops in Chicago, though I really doubt they will have anything this esoteric.)
Skip, you may have this info by now, but check out the website of Mark Stonich, bikesmithdesign.