View Single Post
Old 11-02-22, 05:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
In Japan, own a nozzle stove, and want to come to the US to cycletour?
They make adapters to go the other way, too.
My foreign travels are limited to Europe and Canada, thus I really am clueless on what is most common in many parts of the globe. But I would not be surprised if you find that the threaded canisters are quite common in areas where there is a lot of mountaineering or backpacking. Thus, I could see where Asians might have stoves for nozzle canisters that need adapters for a threaded canister in lots of places besides North America.

While trying out the adapters for nozzle canisters on my backpacking trip a couple months ago, some other backpackers were curious about those weird canisters I had, as they were used to buying backpacking gear. During two weeks, I only saw two people using liquid fuel, I was the only one with nozzle type canisters, everyone else was using threaded canisters.

Within the backpacking crowd, while threaded canisters were the norm, there were the Jetboil campers and the campers (like me) that used a stove and separate pot.

But I suspect in a few years the nozzle canisters will be the norm in areas where car camping campers are shopping. This would be in addition to propane cylinders that are already common for the small BBQ grills. And I assume that the threaded canisters will still be the norm for backpackers and canoe/kayak campers.