View Single Post
Old 11-15-22, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
The first few versions of the Cannondale ST400 had caliper brakes, while the ST600 and ST1000 had cantilevers. The frames are essentially the same, except for the cantilever posts. They all have a full complement of rack, fender, and water bottle mounts. In 1990, the ST400 got cantilevers. The downside is that that limits you to 27 inch wheels. I have a 1990 ST400 and, to me, it seems like what a good sport touring bike should be, light and stiff. I have never tried it with a full load.

1990 Cannondale ST400
The Cannondale ST400 was not a “sport tour” bike. It has classic touring geometry with long chainstays and relaxed geometry. Sport tour was a designation for road bikes with a more relaxed geometry but short chainstays. It was supposed to be a bike that you could ride fast but still carry stuff. That usually meant that you were going to constantly clipping rear panniers if you used them.

Additionally, you weren’t limited to 27” wheels with cantilevers. Most cantilevers of that era (and even later) were slotted so that they could be converted to 700C. The brake pads only need to be moved 2mm (thickness of a nickel) to go from 630mm diameter of the 27” to the 622mm diameter of a 700C.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!