Old 12-01-22, 11:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,533 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I probably have a comment somewhere in the 500+ responses, but I'll contribute again. Isopropyl alcohol and acetone are not paraffin compatible solvents. Mineral spirits and naphtha are. Both will dissolve paraffin and neither leaves any oily residue. Oil also mixes into paraffin, up to the 20-30% range. If added to paraffin, oil makes the paraffin softer. If in doubt, experiment on your own, adding oil to paraffin with help of a small digital scale to weigh the two. Melt the two together, then let it cool and harden to assess the result.

I make my own liquid wax lube with paraffin, oil and naphtha (camp stove fuel). I use at least 4 parts naphtha to dissolve the paraffin and oil. The problem with this mixture is that it requires 80-90 degrees F to remain liquid with a water-like viscosity and the chain must also be at a similar temperature so it does cause the lube to harden rather than penetrate. More naphtha decreases the temperature needed, but at some point, there's too little wax/oil in the mixture. Using it probably isn't much easier than immersion waxing, but I don't remove my chain as often. I relube at least four times before taking it off for cleaning. There's no dirt in my lube. I've been using this lube for several years now and don't plan to switch.
This is why it's not more popular. It's not wipe your chain off, grab a bottle/tube and relube, then repeat as necessary. Instead, it's microbrewing, moonshining, making wine/cider, canning, etc, etc.

Edit: I forgot to mention Alchemy, Witchcraft and Voodoo magic.

It reminds me of changing the brake or power steering fluid in your car. You can really make it complicated by opening the lines and flushing everything, bleeding the system, etc. Or, you can just suck the fluid out of the reservior and replace with fresh fluid. Drive it around for a couple of days and repeat the process 2 or 3 times. About 5 minutes to suck out the fluid and replace. 15 minutes total. I'm sure flushing it might better overall, but not that much better.

Last edited by seypat; 12-01-22 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For seypat: