Old 12-04-22, 11:22 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by heidelbergensis

Mr. Weissler's name is on the rear left chainstay - based on the other thread, it looks like besides being the proprietor of Cyclery North, he painted and perhaps occasionally built the frames. Did you have any first-hand experience with CN? It's always interesting but also slightly sad to hear about the vibrant culture surrounding defunct bike shops - especially steeped in the romantic aura of that era, when "classic & vintage" was just normal.

Yes, I knew Eddy. I remember your frame. Most CNs were for racers. The guy who had this bike was not, I saw him riding and at the shop, did not know him.

Campy brakes are a bit more complex than the Galli, meaning there are little setup things that go sideways. They are definitely not spongy. Neither are Modolos.

Frame building takes a lot of time. There are and have been workmen who get it done quickly, for most it is just plain a slow process. Eddy had a store to run and left the frame building to employees. He only built a few himself early on. He was very good as a painter. Health problems meant that some frames were painted by others. Eddy liked to paint.

I agree with everything in Doug Fattic's post. You could try using a very long stem. You will still be more upright, whole purpose of porteur bars. The chainstay on this frame is short, weight distribution will not be what you want for an upright bike.

Could be the photos, I don't see the infamous raised center ridge on your tires. A few of us sliced them off or sanded them down but these could be later tires. Still I'd be prepared for having to cut them off the rim. Panaracer Gravelking is a massive improvement over vintage Specialized. Just good tires will bring this bike closer to what it was intended to be. And way more comfortable. This is a special bike, if you can go all the way to RH Extralight go ahead and do it.

The Brooks is in fabulous condition. My preferred treatment is Obenauf's Leather Preservative. Put that in search bar, it is widely available. It will make that saddle shine up (mostly beeswax) and will make it last and last. It's an older saddle so will last longer than new Brooks anyway. Downside to Obenaufs is using more than a tiny amount makes the saddle harder. If you like the original Brooks ride slather it on thick. If you like squishier saddles ask someone else.

Again about the fork. Eddy just did not understand head angle, rake, trail. Mostly done by keep it simple and copy what others do. Which is not a bad system. Quite a few bikes had original build modified so messing with the fork would not be wrong. From what photos show it seems normal and close enough. I've learned I cannot measure head angle or rake from a photo. Take measurements. If anywhere in ballpark leave it alone but know what you are working with. A real porteur would be low trail with a nice long chainstay. Don't think you can get there from here.