View Single Post
Old 12-06-22, 03:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
I don’t monkey around, and instead keep a full kit of options to suit any ride type and weather:

- Northwave Celsius Arctic MTB (SPD) winter shoes (insulated, wayerproof) for snowy, sloppy rides and the coldest rides (because they’re roomier)

- Mavic Ksyrium winter road shoes (insulated, wayerproof) w/ 3-bolt cleats for when it’s cold but dry. Snug, they’re great for cycling socks and fill the shoulder season role great (like 32° - 55°)

- 3 heat setting electric socks with heating elements above and below toes, with Northwaves, they take me down as cold as it gets, like single digits plus windchill. Low is fine for 30°s, medium if 20°s, and high is the charm when temps in teens.

- several wool socks (DeFeet, Smartwool, Capo, Danish Endurance) in varying thicknesses go in either shoe when temps are around freezing and above.

I like these options because it minimizes futzing around and the electric socks, powered by rechargeable LiPOs in the cuff, keep my feet warmer than anything else I’ve used over three decades of Michigan winter riding. It’s definitely “technology for the win” in this arena.
Likes For chaadster: