Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6330 Post(s)
Liked 4,926 Times in 3,390 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
I'm assuming I can compensate for any increase in reach incurred by sizing up with a corresponding decrease in stem length. For most stem angles I'm considering the result is an increase in bar height without any increase in cockpit reach. What I'm asking is whether there will be any significant deleterious effects on handling from sizing up in this fashion where my body position either stays the same or, hopefully, gets more upright. The obvious differences will be increases in wheelbase and standover. I believe I more or less understand those. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something that might make me regret a decision to size up beyond the usual range recommended for my height.
Nothing that is going to sound the death bell for you on your first ride out! <grin>

If you make the changes immediately on a new bike you've not ridden much you probably won't even notice that it made a difference. I made a stem change from 100 to 70 mm after having my bike for most of the year. The effect going down twisty trails and encountering strong gusty winds when going from wooded areas to open areas was almost scary. However a few rides later and everything is normal feeling again.

I've ridden bikes way larger than I should have been on, and all I can say that adequately describes the difference in handling is that the bigger bikes felt like very stable smooth riding luxury sedans on the road. The bikes smaller and more the correct size handled more like a small and nimble sports car that can get in and around traffic easily or avoid sudden obstacles and hazards that appear out of nowhere.

I like the sports car handling since I don't own and drive a sports car myself! But neither is necessarily wrong depending on what you prefer and what the actual riding is you intend to do with the bike.

Don't know what Domane model you have, but a few other bikes in the Trek line actually have a higher stack height and roughly the same reach. And the Specialized Roubaix easily beats the Domane of the same size with about a 39 mm higher stack depending on exact size compared and year model selected.