yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
But you didn't answer the question: How many miles do you ride in between your hot wax rituals?
Another thing you do is completely ignore evidence that exposed your ignorance to then latch onto the thing that has not been answered as if that point had any value.

Three reasons why I ignored your question:
1. I don't care about how long you ride your motor oil chain because we do not have the same standards. You may ride it for seventeen full moons and buy a new one every sixth leap year when your ruler-eyeball measurement says it's done, whilst wiping it externally here and there and calling it cleaned. So your baseline is meaningless. Not a benchmark. Not a contest.
2. There has been ample discussion about how many hundreds of kms or miles people generally go on their waxed chains. Spelger just matched/exceeded your lube intervals in his response. For more, read through/search this thread or other resources, google it, find some third party facts instead of assumptions. Prepare for dissonance.
3. In practice, I personally do not go by any 'x km' rule because when I swap chains is dictated by when I feel my bike is dirty enough to need a clean. This means that I take my chains off when cleaning my bike, which is great for sponge access and helps inspect jockey wheel and bottom bracket smoothness, and when it has dried I put a freshly waxed chain on. At any given time I have one or two pre-waxed chains snailed up in a drawer, it is never an issue. I never once put on a new chain on because the previous was done because my bike clean intervals are more frequent than a waxed chain would wear out, going by people's distance reports.

So there you have it.

First you thought hot wax was drip wax and needed to be wiped so as not to create a mess, so you didn't actually know what this was about. Then you thought hot wax chains don't last as long, and that application had to be more frequent, but got proven wrong by test results and responses from people that do it. Then you laughed at watt savings and asked why no pros are doing this, but a pro in a video dismissed that.

What next?