View Single Post
Old 12-20-22, 04:50 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,177 Times in 7,596 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
There is probably great medical advice out there and maybe some in this thread. Obviously take care of your body beforehand and all of that.

My one thing is pickle juice. I personally love it and could chug it easily if it is good stuff. I know there is a commercial product out there that is designed specifically for sports and comes in a little bottle. Me personally I would just make some homemade stuff maybe with some daikon, carrots, cucumbers, garlic, peppers (not bells something with heat or if you are a milder person some Anaheim or Cubanelles) and whatever sort of brine you want and then drain the brine into a small bottle and drink while riding. I would make it a little sweet, salty and spicy and just give your body something super exciting to look forward to.

I remember after a really long ride a couple years ago we bought some really nice local pickled cucumbers along the ride and once we got to camp we got into that jar and finished it quite quickly and no cramps that night and it was just so good and now I swear by it. I also got hooked at some bar somewhere that had whisky with a pickle back but the pickle back was the real prize as it was homemade (or made in the restaurant) Vietnamese pickle brine and it was just so good I had the one shot and kept asking for more of that pickle brine. Full of flavor and not super salty or anything it was just very nicely balanced.
Read up on the “Pickle Juice Game.” Eagles creamed the Cowboys in 100+ degree heat after drinking pickle juice before the game. What is not mentioned in many of the articles is that several Dallas players succumbed to the conditions.
Likes For indyfabz: