Old 12-31-22, 07:14 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,357 Times in 1,137 Posts
My number one is my 1980 Takara 970 Grand Touring. I guess it is my favorite for a multitude of reasons. Riding it sort of takes me back to high school when I had a Takara 960 Deluxe Touring. It rides well and I am quite comfortable on it being able to come in from a run and hop on it with my running shoes and shorts. That convenience also makes it handy to hop on for quick rides about the neighborhood with the grandkids. It is well built, easily maintained and even if it didn't get maintenance, I think it would still be a dependable rider. I have a late '70s/early '80s Carabela and a '54 Hercules built Wester Flyer that I need to restore that may unseat this as number one. I also have another Takara and an '84 Raleigh I ride that don't hold the same spot for me as this one, but I do like to get them out from time to time.

Number two is not vintage but I do enjoy it and the tan sidewalls give it a vintage vibe that I like. If I had any regrets at all about this purchase it would be that I didn't get carbon fiber or electronic shifting. And I love the disk brakes.