rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 5,883 Times in 3,025 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I've often had the same sentiment. I'm not sure getting old is a blessing. The older I get the more I think that the blessed and lucky ones lived long enough to experience a full life and died fast and painless.

Our culture doesn't like to even think about death, but we would all lead much fuller lives if we accepted and acknowledged that every day could be the last.
My mother will be 91 in May. I have watched her steady decline for the last 15 years to the point that she can no longer read (her favorite pastime) write, or perform simple tasks like fixing a bowl of cereal. She has a care taker to make sure she takes her meds which she never remembers on her own. Her life is full of problems and crises just like the one I helped her/actually her caretaker with yesterday, doing a change of address on a bill to mine. Reopening an envelope and writing my address was just too much. Then there are the indignities of personal cleanliness, the ever present pain, dizziness and virtually routine trips to the ER courtesy of the local EMTs. Her quality of life frankly sucks, but she endures.

I have my Will in order and have vowed to not go down the same road. Watching her and helping her I have resolved that I will never allow myself to go this way. Selfish? Perhaps, but I find burdening others or living so disabled is not something I choose to do. I have lived a life of few regrets (regerts) and with many privileges compared to the greater world. I will take a swift death, rather than the alternative. Just my take. TMI?

Likes For rsbob: