View Single Post
Old 01-11-23, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
The only time I don't like a hard frozen surface is on t he unpaved trails around here that are rail-trails and have a lot of foot traffic. Those deep footprints in the frozen snow or trail surface are like riding constantly over potholes. I think that's another surface perhaps better suited to a fatbike or a full suspension bike.Btw, i don't use studded tires. I do lower the air pressure sometimes though to cushion the ride a bit and then pump the tires back up when I get to the paved roads I use to get home on.
yeah I hear ya. been there, done that, don't like it. if it's thin melted slush over pavement, OK, cuz then I can get down to the pavement. hard frozen footprints, even shallow ones are no fun

last winter I had a wonderful ride on a snow covered paved rail-trail. it was glorious. recently plowed, thin layer of compacted snow. super cold, crispy cold. bike tracks & footprints didn't matter due to the unique set of conditions. I do use studded tires, but on this day they weren't required. good solid traction
this may look slippery, but it wasn't. crusty & granular, no slick ice