View Single Post
Old 01-11-23, 07:52 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 120 Posts
Rudy,

I took the plunge last year. The toughest part is the two miles(?) before the bridge and the bridge. Bridge seemed to go on and up forever.

I practiced doing hills and pacing for another ride. Glad I did as I'm an old fat slow guy and the practice helped a lot.
40 miles on the road on a road bike is not an issue.

Since I was solo and from out of town I had anxiety about getting there and on time. Probably over prepped. I also went self contained, brought enough water and snacks. Also had spare tube, pump, bike tool etc. Didn't need to stop. Although there was a packed bar of cyclists in Queens(?) that I would have liked to have stopped at.

Every type of bike and every experience level is on the ride. I'm an experienced group rider. This is occasionally a madhouse. Be safe, pace, seen more than a few real idiots. Seen a few crashes, not bad considering.

If you are from Brooklyn you can bag out at any time.

The wait for the ferry was long but OK, as everybody was pumped up and 'chatty'.

Have fun and good luck
Likes For mirfi: