View Single Post
Old 01-13-23, 09:57 AM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
(with apologies to the OP for derailing this thread into a to-build-or-not-to-build debate....!)
If it's simple a matter of needing a quick set of wheels, yeah, it probably isn't a money-saving move to build them. But if you think you'll build more than a couple sets, want to re-use vintage hubs, have specific wants/needs, or are interested in out-of-the-mainstream stuff like converting vintage to 650b, etc, it can relatively quickly become 'economic'. The more sets you build up the more your tool investment gets spread out (and the faster you get at it)! I got started on it when I couldn't find 100/126 650b wheels for my PX-10, granted that was earlier in the pandemic when lots of stuff was N/A, & overall it appears that supply-chain issues have eased up some now.

But back to the OP's question (more or less).. Really hard to beat the Velomine sets. The Sun M13ii rims seems more or less just a narrower version fo the CR18, which is a pretty much bullet-proof rim. Devoid of cache, but hard to fault for real-world, hard life (ie, NYC streets). I'd expect the M13 to hold up nearly as well as the CR18, though I haven't put a lot of miles on the M13 wheels I've built up yet. Additionally, if it were me, for what is likely to be somewhat harsh riding conditions, I think I'd want new rims rather than used/vintage of unknown 'history'.
Really good point about new vs. old wheels.

I think I'll go for the Sun wheelset, and keep the tubulars to experiment with when the weather gets better. After all. if I never try I'll never learn, right?
Likes For Roypercy: