Old 01-18-23, 03:06 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This proves that either you are disingenuous or unable to comprehend your own posts.

WHY will a Rolex gain value? Why does a Rolex cost so much to begin with? How can a Rolex be "worth the price" if most people only wear watches as fashion accessories and tell time with their phones? I have a $3 Timex which is far more accurate than any Rolex. The Rolex is therefore hideously overpriced .... yet you are defending it because ....

Because you inherently understand that "value" is not defined by the things you Pretend it is defined by in you considerations of bicycle value. Because you understand that "value" is indeed "what people are willing to pay." You prove this by using the rising price of the Rolex as an example. You are not suggesting that people are going to sell their Rolexes to recoup the sale price. You ar3e simply saying that the imaginary value (just as with stocks you don't sell which "gain" and "lose" value depending on the market, unrealized watch sale profits are purely imaginary) of that Rolex justifies paying a huge amount of money for an inferior product.

So ... you understand that value is determined by the people who care about---who Value---that item. To you the Rolex is "worth the price" because to You, personally, it is worth the price. The unrealized potential resale value isn't an issue because you are not talking about resale. And the Appraised value, which you mention, rises Not because the watch gets better with time, but because people Value it more. The appraised value is a measure not of the parts and pieces or the labor to assemble the watch, it is a measure of how much people Want the watch. So clearly you understand why a Rolex costs so much, and equally, you understand why a $14,000 (which isn't even that expensive any more) costs so much.

Yet you Pretend not to understand when it comes to the bicycle.

Either you are a sub-bridge resident, or just not a very honest person. I hope you improve either your humor or your character---or both.
I never said I thought Rolex was worth the money. I’m just saying because of Rolex’s successful marketing scam, their watch’s appreciate in value. A $14,000 bicycle 5-10 years later will sell for much less than their original price.

Another example of a wildly successful marketing scam is the promotion of Diamonds by Debeers.

When I was in business school, they taught us the last thing a manufacturer wanted was to price their product according to their cost. Instead they prefer to try to establish a high perceived market value.

Don’t invest much in items of depreciating value.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack