Old 01-30-23, 09:06 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 440 Posts
Second coat on the blue should be today, 2 coats on the white done. The former matches OEM better than the latter but I hope buffing it down to smooth the touch-ups (polishing compound OK? or will I need super-fine sandpaper?) will blend it well enough to hide that.

Cleaning up 45 years' worth of grime on the wheels without disassembling them was unpleasant, but after a few hours with mineral spirits and Simple Green (am I repeating myself?) they are OK. I plan to Blue Magic the rims, and I misplaced my ScotchBrite pads so I am getting more to get the spokes pretty.

Sand Canyon tires on the way, they were out of tubes but Amazon had 700Cx 32-47mm Prestas in stock and 1-3/8" works out to 35mm so should be OK. Unlike double-wall rimes where the heads of the spoke nipples are recessed, on the Arayas there jut up into the "tube cavity" so i ordered rubber rim bands instead of simply using the Kapton tape I already have... mistake?

Originally Posted by bertinjim
tiger1964- Sorry about the link. It is now corrected in the original post to: https://cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/BT_viva.html The 1,400 yen is about C $ 14 so about US $10. My shipping was about a week to 10 days depending on when I ordered from Grands Bois.
Again, thanks. I think I just placed a valid order but they say on the site that international orders will involve e-mail confirmation and as it's the middle of the night there, it might be a few hours.

Originally Posted by ascherer
Ah, I didn’t see that. I meant Chinese. Here’s one screwed into a hanger, fits just fine.
Dang spell-checker! Anyway, I like the silver finish but ended up buying the "real" Roadlink this AM and it only comes in black, that at least matches the "claw" hanger. I also order the long cage from Soma, both together should give me a lot of gear range ability. Actually, I have not selected ratios yet; I see IRD makes a 13T-32T but not a 13T-30T. I wonder what other choices in a new freewheel might be out there?

Originally Posted by repechage
not sure on this bike but there was a period where the Reynolds transfer received a block out blank rectangle that deleted the "and stays"
some shops magically uprated the bike by removing the cover - yeah, sneaky. Of the tubes that could be exchanged and mean the least, the stays would be the tubes to downgrade. The lesser strength steel would be thicker.
the Campagnolo hubs, cranks and derailleurs would be an up-spec. Terrific. give it a rebuild. Hopefully a Campagnolo BB is fitted.
There are 531 triangles on the forks and the frame decal says "531 butted frame tubes" but no mentions of stays . Yeah, the Campy bits include a BB, I could, I guess upgrade the headset to Campy -- to continue the Campification -- but the OEM one cleaned up so nice. If I changed it, I've had really good luck with Velo Orange's sealed headsets. The Campy chrome pedals will be removed and I ordered Shimano M540 SPD pedals instead.