Old 02-04-23, 02:23 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't know if anyone actually addressed your concern about the location of the pads.

On most V brakes, there are splined "washers" that are used on each side of the slot in the brake arm. One washer is thin, the other thicker. By swapping the location of those washers you can set your pads further or closer to the brake arm/pivot. So you might check how those washers are set up - since it is common to have the rear brake bosses narrower than the fork bosses, the brakes may have come set up different front and rear.

Something to look at.

{image}

I'm talking about the matte aluminum conical washers you can see in this picture. The outer one is half as thick as the inner, but you can mount them either way.
I appreciate you addressing that. However, my issue is not that the brake shoes are farther from the rim. My issue is that one rim is farther away from the V-brake pivots than it is on the other. In order for the brake shoes to line up with the rim, they have to be moved farther up the brake arms, which then changes the leverage of that brake.

Last edited by Nyah; 02-04-23 at 03:15 PM.