Old 02-21-23, 11:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
When I had my first (and only so far) colonoscopy, they also said that they didn't want me eating any fiber the couple days before. Not sure why. I sort of thought it as they wanted my body to be totally shocked by the laxatives so everything would come out all at once rather than being used to pooping. Sorry for the gross imagery. Either that or they thought that if I was too regular from too much fiber, it might present as an inflammation. Could also be they looked at my weight (I'm not just too fat for cycling, my BMI says I'm legitimately overweight - down from obese a couple years back) and figured I wasn't eating much fiber anyway (they'd have been wrong) and wanted me not to be doing anything differently.
This is it. I was instructed to eat a low-fiber diet for the five days before the colonoscopy. No fresh fruits or vegetables - only canned or mushy ones. No whole wheat - white bread and regular pasta. No nuts or seeds - smooth peanut butter was approved. It basically meant that processed foods were OK. It felt very unhealthy.

And then the full liquid diet the day before coupled with lots of Miralax - It was not fun. Drinking a half gallon of Gatorade was a challenge.

They used some intense anesthesia on me. I was completely out of it afterward. (Though I was apparently quite entertaining to my wife and the nurses.) My wife had one a few days after me at a different location. They used a much milder anesthesia, so she was fine.