Old 02-26-23, 11:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
R80 in most regions is achievable for many. PA is special because of the nature of the hills and lots of navigation. 200-400k in 10:48, 16:00 and 21:36 in most regions is not too bad. Doing 600k in 32 hours would probably take some teamwork for most/many randos.

Maybe R12, ACP 5000, Mondial, and R80 would get the Elite Ultimate Award. R12 shows tenacity. ACP show longevity, durability, and teamwork (fleche), Mondial shows a long commitment to the game, and R80 shows a modest commitment to doing 4 brevets inside the aforementioned times. I would never quality under any criteria.

In 2019 PBP, Fiona and Bijorn had a huge train behind them as they lead 2 up. I am guessing 100 riders. They were hardly riding fast, they came by me as I was fixing a flat somewhere between Fougeres and Tinteniac and I slept in Fougeres outbound. Maybe 25 kph. SO, why would so many want to ride with them. I think the answer is obvious. They are both tremendously admired for PBP and TCR wins. One can challenge oneself and not have any competitive feeling about a fellow rider. For instance, let's say I have never broken 9 hours on Blue Mt 200k (true) and I set out to break 9 hours for personal satisfaction. What is wrong with that? It is natural to me. This camaraderie thing is crap. Look at the trackers on 1200k brevets out of Seattle, even on flat terrain, riders are all spaced out, sometimes only a few minutes apart. Or finish times. You can also see that when working a control. If randonneurs learned how to ride a paceline, the riding would be much easier and faster. I think Paul Octapus has true Audax style rides in Florida and having a mix of both styles of randonneuring is the best idea and he has it 100% right. I have asked RBA's if it is ok if I ride hard to test myself (sometimes I ride "hard" but not usually) and there are two answers that I get. Sure, as long as you obey the opening time, have fun, allee. The other typical response is critical and seems like a lecture about the ethics and riding together and camaraderie. Maybe we need to learn the difference between Audax and Allure Libre.

If RUSA wants to grow the "sport", why not provide something of interest to those interested in achievement in addition to those who show up and get a trophy for participation. Does not have to be either or proposition. Some token nod to performance might help.

In short, there is no way a time standard would ever be applied to any award scheme, I get that and fine with the direction although my opinion is slightly different.
Likes For GhostRider62: