Old 02-27-23, 06:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
These conversations are troubling to me. The shoulder width has nothing to do with a collision. The existence of a shoulder is not important. Nor is the number of cyclists abreast.

The motorists need to be traveling at a speed which allows avoidance by changing lanes or slowing down. My only question about the collision is why the motorists did not drive defensively. The infrastructure is not relevant.
I think you’re entirely correct when it comes to assigning fault for the accident.

However, the shoulder width and the waste of all that space does definitively seem to be an issue in terms of designing infrastructure which promotes safety for cyclists, and reducing the likelihood of such accidents

we could do a lot better in building cycling friendly infrastructure in the US, and re striping the lanes on this bridge would appear to be an example of where we can do better, at a very low cost, if we gave more thought to cyclists in our road designs.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.