View Single Post
Old 02-27-23, 10:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,700 Times in 1,949 Posts
As far as the chart on the site you mentioned ... no clue. Unless the Marin were many pounds heavier ... the Trek and the Marin have the same top gear, 46x11, and I see no reason why one should be faster using the exact same gearing.

The Trek has a triple ring (in this comparison ... didn't see that on the model I looked at) and both bikes are otherwise the same, so it is hard to imagine that the Marin could weight that much more ... so i have no idea what they are on about.

Okay. got it.

The Trek they tested did Not have the 46-30 double chain ring on the one I linked to---the one on Trek's site. The one 99spokes tested has a 48/38/28 triple ... that would be the five percent speed increase I mentioned. Since I got my info from Trek, I assume it is up-to-date and that 99spoke tested a 2021 or 2022 model, but I am not sure.

When you test the Trek ask the person about the chain ring size ... or just look. If there are two front gears (chain rings) then it is probably a 46-30 ... the number should be stamped or printed on the chain ring somewhere. if it has three chain rings you have a 48-38-28--probably---which will be about five percent faster if you go flat-out crazy ... I doubt the difference is six mph like 99spokes says, but whatever. I don't know where they got the numbers.

Not sure about a lockout, but i doubt the Suntour NEX fork has one .... they tend to be features on much more expensive forks, and also on longer-travel forks. I doubt you would lose too much energy with a 63-mm fork.