Old 03-01-23, 12:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,720 Times in 4,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Thank you for the facts and the correction. I still feel the same about Microshift's plans ... and we all know feelings trump facts around here .
Yeah, I agree that Microshift will likely continue to make the Shimano compatible components for the indefinite future. Its probably super easy at this point since they arent innovating anything, so its low cost too.

I listed to a podcast a couple years ago with the head of Microshift Sales for North America- it was a really cool interview that I think was part of Nerd Alert, though not sure. Anyways, he addressed the external routed shift cables and said that they cant get around design infringement that would either violate Shimano or SRAM, so they routed the cables externally. I would be curious to know how they got around the obstacles with their 10sp and 11sp groups that route under the tape, but regardless- apparently design limitations wont allow them to route under bar tape for all the 7-10sp Shimano Legacy style shifting.
He talked extensively about Microshift's own product- Advent. Advent and Advent X have made their way to a lot of budget MTB builds and the drop bar Advent X is OEM on even Cannondale Topstone. It is its own system, so it isnt Shimano compatible. I could definitely see them continuing this route- budget, quality, in-house design.