View Single Post
Old 03-02-23, 04:46 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
IMG_3713 by Nacho Neal, on Flickr

Lots of over-hang. But I don't care.

You really think this is OK? I think it is a terrible idea. First, I'm sure this is illegal for a passenger vehicle. But who knows! Second, seems like catastrophe waiting to happen. Knowing how many people have driven into their garages with bikes on top, seems like it's just a matter of time for you to forget it's hanging out there and you take out your tandem on an obstacle or another vehicle. Third, seems like you're putting other road users at risk - namely cyclists that you may be passing. Driving a narrow two-lane road with that thing? Pretty hard to give cyclists 3' as required by many state laws AND not cross the center line with your vehicle and/or the other side of the overhanging tandem. And lane-sharing motorcyclists? Yikes. And the aerodynamics are terrible too!

Sorry, not for me.

As to the post about the LongBike Tote - that's a very reasonable solution. In fact, it makes me realize that I can probably retro-fit my Yamkima Sidewinder to mount to my 2" Kuat hitch rack and find a perfectly good alternative to the roof rack. I was a die-hard roof rack user - even on the van. But those days are over. And my 5' wife could NEVER get bikes on or off. Love the improved gas mileage of no bikes on top - and even the improvement after removing just the Yakima rack alone. So I'm going to have to figure out an elegant way to retrofit my Kuat to accept the Yakima tandem rack. Would be so much nice.

Oh and to anyone concerned about the added weight of hitch racks and their effect on smaller vehicle suspension, there's a pretty quick and inexpensive solution:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...air-lift-1000/

My Sienna van had always suffered from "camping sag." I hated how the loaded van was always maxed out, suspension-wise. Then when I added the 2" trailer hitch and then the FOUR bike Kuat carrier, the problem was untenable. Van full of gear and four bikes on the back? Bottomed out! So I looked into an "air-ride" suspension retrofit. That's thousands of dollars, so that idea was out. Then I came upon AirLift and figured $60 was worth the try. I've had it now on the van going on seven years and they've worked great. Adjust pressure from 15-35 psi, and my suspension sag problems are solved. Such a simple solution. Installed myself.

Thinking of doing the same for a Toyota sedan we own - it, too has always ridden low with four people and a few things in the trunk. I want to add a hitch rack, but I know if I do, the thing will be dragging azz! So I hope to add the AirLift to this vehicle as well.
Likes For LV2TNDM: