Old 03-13-23, 02:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5913 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Hard to say about the brake calipers. The "brake shoe gap" between 27" (630 mm) and 700c (622 mm) is only 4 mm
((630 - 622)/2 = 4 mm), and I think I see some gap in the photo.

I've never done this with Weinmann 500 sidepulls, but I have with Shimano 600-6207 on my 1984 Trek 610. The Trek
was well-designed to accommodate such a conversion. Slight reduction in deceleration, but my hands strengthened
pretty quickly. I was acclimated to it pretty quickly. But still, I had the 500's on a 1969 Italian bike with a lot of early '60s
parts. I always thought the 500's were not strong, in terms of "stop me now with no hand pressure!" With a good or great
hard squeeze I could stop quickly. I never really saw the benefit of say, modern dual-pivots, until I installed Campagnolo
dual-pivots on my Mondonico. THAT was a great improvement over the short Shimano 600-6207 that the bike came to
me with!

If the Weinmann brake caliper reaches, I would make the conversion to 700c if there is a need for tubulars. Otherwise I
would stick to the 27 x 1 ¼ rims. I'm replacing rims on my 27 x 1 ¼ Rudge, and with admittedly heavy Wolber Modele 58
and Pasela Protite wire-bead rims, I think it is going to work well.

If you have a set of spare 700c or tubular wheels, do a test installation. That will tell you all you need to know in real-life
terms.
The super champion 58s are, IMO, one of the very best vintage rims. They built up true. I rode a set across the country and they are still going strong. Nothing wrong with 27 inch wheels and maybe I’ll stick with them. The rims that came stock on the bike are cheap Weinmanns I think.