Old 03-16-23, 04:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5990 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,622 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i vaguely recall the moped days. my older brother got one of those honda ones. but i don't recall the factors that led them to fall out of favor. was it safety? reliability? pollution? ......
The key issue was safety. Both for the users and everyone else. That, and the impossibility of enforcing traffic laws.

Since no license was required, there wasn't any leverage. Ultimately they became the vehicle option for those who lost driver's licenses for DWI.

And as things happen in the USA, once they started getting bad press, everybody piled on; too noisy, smelly, polluting, stored indoors causing fire hazard, and of course the guy who killed somebody's grandma.

Again, I believe in e-bikes as long as they're pedal assist vs. throttle. Visit NYC, where they're very common, but you'll rarely see anybody pedaling. Because they didn't buy a bicycle, they bought an unregulated motorcycle.

BTW - there's plenty of room regarding the phase out speed for assist. My point is that there should only be 2 classes: e-bicycles and e-motorcycles, with rules that match.

Thought, we're already seeing some issues. Since there's no meaningful regulation, there's also barely any quality control. Nothing like UL standards on the sizeable batteries. Since it's a practical necessity to bring bikes indoors in NYC, we're starting to see some serious apartment building fires.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-16-23 at 04:47 PM.