View Single Post
Old 03-19-23, 07:35 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 494 Posts
Waving Immunity:

Regarding waving? Wow. There are so many possible scenarios. Here's one: A rider is going the other way. We are both doing about 22mph on the flat. He waves. I haven't seen him yet (or cared to look up). I'm lost in a reverie of a B-52's song in my mind, working some alternate lyrics into it. The rider sees that there is no response from me. I look up and see her for a split second before she passes and I wave. No response (she had no time to respond, and has already waved). Should we both feel cheated? Ignored? If you wave to a tree in the woods and no one is there to witness it, did it ever really happen?
I think the real issue is a spiritual one: We can't allow ourselves to become jaded in life. Your generosity might not always be requited, but it is always worth trying, in the long run.

Likes For 1989Pre: