cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Dayum, Kurt - those came out really nicely (doffs imaginary helmet... wait, I don't wear a helmet - make that cycling cap)!

Well done; I'm sure they'll do the job, too
Having not that much experience with Mafacs myself, I'm now wondering whether I should test them with the original rock-hard pads, or with Kool-Stops. The KS pads shape-shift a lot more when applied though, so I'm not sure what setup will give me a good baseline.

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
"Rough" is OK with me when it's "authentic" and "vintage".

That sounds to me like what the joint in my area calls "marking" as opposed to "engraving". I've never seen the former, and recognized it as such. My interest in knowing the difference is that I'm trying to make an amplifier control panel with one or the other.

Sacré bleu! NE JAMAIS! or should it be NIEMALS! NIEMALS! NIEMALS!
Their looks is one of the reasons I've only put Racers on one build after 15+ years, even though they're nicer to set up than any Weinmann 999 and feel better too. I've tried to stay away from them because of their looks, so this is one component I - personally - don't feel bad tinkering with for overall appearance.

It's dead flat, I'm pretty sure it's the laser marking you speak of - such as letters on an aluminum faceplate for an amplifier or lettering on aluminum-bodied lighting equipment. I wouldn't classify it as "engraved" at all by definition of what engraving actually is.

I'm pretty sure that was a Dia-Compe, so Japanese may be more appropriate. But the forum prevents me from having fun with kanji spit out of Google Translate.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I wonder if there’s some crude way to quantify the effect of this stiffener, compared to a MAFAC Racer without the stiffener. Maybe @gugie has some engimaneering know how to impart.
Originally Posted by gugie
Gugie doesn't trust everything he thinks. I'm an empirical guy, and I do have a few bikes with MAFAC brakes I could try a stiffener and report back. Some of them definitely squeal like a pig. Won't be anytime soon, I'll put it on my post-retirement things to do list.
Would you like one to play with, Mr. Butcher, sir?

Originally Posted by tiger1964
OK, WHERE do I order a set of those decals**********?
If I told you, I'd get banned

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: