View Single Post
Old 03-20-23, 06:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11051 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
Originally Posted by irreverentskier
The Renegade comes in two sizes that might fit me (51cm, and 54 cm, kind of a big jump between sizes - that's Jamis hating short folks I guess).

The 54: After riding a half dozen other bikes I rode the S4 version of the Renegade in a 54cm frame and fell in love. Great bike, the 54 rides amazingly well. Very comfortable when I'm on it and riding. But, when stopped, I have to get off the saddle and put one foot down to be comfortable (this isn't hard for me to do, but I'm not comfortable just hanging out on the saddle at a stop). I can stand over the top tube flat-footed, but only just barely. The standover height of the 54cm frame is 779mm. But again, when riding everything fits beautifully well.
1- Jamis doesn't hare short people. It is one of the few brands that uses size specific tubing and also uses multiple fork rakes to ensure smaller frames ride similar to larger frames.

2- of course you should get off the saddle when stopped. That's just how a road bike/fitness bike/gravel bike is used. If you are able to put a foot down when you are sitting on the saddle, the bike almost for sure doesn't fit you properly.

3- do you plan to ride the bike more or less frequently than stand over the bike? If you plan to ride it more than stand over it, then get the bike size that fits you best when riding.
Likes For mstateglfr: