View Single Post
Old 03-23-23, 10:05 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
I think the main issue I have is that there have been two era changes for lack of a better word since the reign of Merckx. The first was click-in pedals and integrated shift. The second was abandoning rim brakes, and using large formed tubes whether carbon or aluminum. I think a more interesting comparison would be the steel bikes of that other five-time tour winner, Miguel Indurain, and the modern bikes. The closest I've seen is a nice vlog by Dutch 737 pilot and cycling enthusiast Jasper Verkuijl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxX4eAc0wO0 While I find paint a bit garish, I wouldn't mind having that ergo equipped Serotta as a vintage bling bike.
For some reason, a Serotta is my dream bike. I would just stick with downtube shifters

Oh, man, that shop. Makes me want to go to Nurnberg. Owner wheels out the bike, says it's by "Ben Serotta, a famous builder from New York."
"Really?! So I'm actually riding, like, a super special bike?"

Great video, thanks.

Last edited by Chinghis; 03-23-23 at 10:12 AM.