Thread: New Rules
View Single Post
Old 03-23-23, 03:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5050 Post(s)
Liked 8,318 Times in 3,928 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Because of what ooga-booga said! And if I can put a number to it - 100% of the cell phone usage while in motion is totally unnecessary.
And yes, it is realistic. Just some 30-35 years ago, people lived fine without that ****. Don't think we have deteriorated that much since then. You can survive a short train ride without watching some dumb podcast.
IMO, the "people used to..." argument is weak. Progress happens. People lived that way then because there wasn't the option to have some of the conveniences we have now. If they did, they would have used them just like we do. I'm not in favor of deactivating cell phones when moving. I use cell phone for navigation in my car on a regular basis, and it makes that part of my life more efficient. Yes, I know how to read a map, and used to do it frequently, but I'm happy not to have a stack of map books behind my car seat any more. Modern navigation technology lets me know when my intended route is slowed or blocked, and provides an alternate route. A paper map can't do that. I vividly remember times before cell phones when getting in contact with someone who was traveling was difficult or impossible. Sometimes critical information needs to be shared that changes that travel - local or long distance.

If you choose not to avail yourself of modern technology, that's up to you. Have at it. I'll be over here...on my phone.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-24-23 at 03:16 PM.