View Single Post
Old 03-23-23, 03:39 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Do points of engagement really matter on a gravel bike? I get that on MTB, BMX/Freestyle bikes where speeds are very low and the terrain is highly technical this matters. I could even buy an argument for CX bikes where you're constantly coasting in tight corners then getting on the gas. But on a gravel bike?

Anyway to answer the OP's question - Zipp 303S is great for gravel. I have a set and use them for Gravel and CX. I know several others who use these wheels for gravel and road. They're more expensive than options from LB. The warranty is very solid - SRAM covers crash damage (even during a race). For me that made the extra cost over LB options worth it. I would agree that the rear hub is pretty standard fare, nothing special. I've got several thousand miles on my set now and never had any problems with it. It makes a pleasing noise that isn't obnoxiously loud. If you really want some fancy hubs on Zipps you can do that. Zipp sells their rims wholesale to wheelbuilders - Chris King has the 303 Firecrest with their R45 hubs on their website. I'm sure there's lots of people out there who could custom build you some 303S with CK's or White Industry, etc.
I agree... I don't ever feel that more points of engagement would help me on a gravel bike. Mountain bikes, yes, I'd look into more. But, to each his own.
Likes For Caliwild: