DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I have Zipp 303S.
The wheels ride great and the warranty is outstanding - Zipp will even cover crash damage while racing. I've never noticed any issues with crosswinds. Zipp uses standards Sapim CX Sprint spokes (prior to 2022 they used CX Ray) - so if you need replacements they are easy to find. The wider internal rim width works well with 28mm road tires. I was torn between these and building up a custom set from LB, and the Zipp lifetime warranty tipped the scale for me. Zipp will even cover crash damage that occurs during a race.

The main downside to Zipp 303S is that it's hookless, so the PSI limits are lower. If you're committed to tubeless this is likely a non-factor, but if you're planning to run tubes on the Zipp 303S you're still limited to the 72psi max, which might be problematic for a 28mm tire.
Tubes can be used to get home with a damaged tire, but hookless rims aren't expected to be used with tubes. A 28mm tubeless tire can be used at a 73 psi maximum pressure and support a 240 lb rider. Heavy riders need to use wider tires. Zipp lists a maximum 286 lb system weight.

The 303s rims are 27mm wide. My 28mm P- zero tires measure about 29mm wide on those rims. Use 25mm IW rims and you'll get about 31mm.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/wh-303-stld-a1

If you don't want tubeless, buy a hooked rim.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-26-23 at 03:07 PM.