View Single Post
Old 03-26-23, 05:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,060 Posts
I recently debated between Zipp 303S and Lun Hyper R45, and decided to go with the Hyper. I think the Hyper are a more feature-packed, premium style wheelset than the 303S.

In particular, I think the Hyper hubs are much better, primarily for the improved bracing angles with the differential flange heights on the rear and widely spaced fronts. I also trust and prefer triplet lacing, something carried over from old American Classic wheelsets, which I think were way ahead of their time and maybe the smartest wheelsets of their era. Those hub design features on the Hyper are the same elements which AC used, too (at least for Argent and precursor Road Tubeless).

I also preferred the straight-pull, wider, bladed (carbon fiber) Hyper spokes to the round, J-bend on the 303– the bend is spokes so often fail— and that the Hypers have partially recessed nipples unlike the more fully exposed and probably less aero 303S nipples. Winspace also supple 3 spare spoke/nipple sets should they be needed.

I also think that the different front/rear rim profiles on the Hyper is cool; it’s a design feature which makes sense, at least. They heights are not just staggered, but the rim cross section is different as well, their claim being the front being optimized for leading edge airflow performance and the rear for trailing edge performance.

The Hyper being 200g lighter had appeal, too, as did the hooked rim design, since I like the handling feel of higher pressures and prefer to run, for now, 25s tubeless at around 90psi. Even if I go lower pressure and/or wider rubber, since I’m rarely under 245lbs, I didn’t think getting down to 70psi or so would likely be in the cards, so hookless was too risky (or extreme; 30mm rubber? I’m not ready!).

Arguably, the 303S has a more sophisticated finish look; the bold weave on the Hyper is kinda wild, or at least a “thing.” Maybe Winspace are just out front on the next styling trend!