View Single Post
Old 03-30-23, 05:45 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
Yes, I understand now, hanger is part of the frame on this bicycle. You learn something new every day.

Still, I would rather have replacable hanger than this design. If it gets bent you can replace it in the field, while for this design you do need to find a capable mechanic, or use whatever you have left of rear gears.

But also, no point of thinking about this too much ,anything can break on a bicycle.
I get the sense that you read something about having spare derailleur hangers, and assumed that applied to all bikes.

Look at post #5 above. Bill has posted a picture of a bike with a replaceable derailleur hanger. They put those on aluminum and carbon bikes so that in the event the derailleur gets bashed, that part gets bent instead of bending or breaking the aluminum or carbon frame. It may or not save the derailleur but it is meant to save the frame. If you have a bike that uses one of those, it is best to have spares because they're not universal. Years from now the one for your bike might be hard to find.

Because your bike is steel, it has what's called an integrated derailleur hanger. Being steel, it is very unlikely to bend in a minor accident. That means the derailleur will bend or break instead. You could make a case for having an entire spare derailleur, if you're paranoid about it. The actual best course of action is to avoid accidents and treat your bike with care - don't bash the rear derailleur.