View Single Post
Old 04-01-23, 11:52 PM
SebWGer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Why drop bars?

Hi, I've been a member here for quite some time now but I've mostly just been looking and reading.
I started commuting a year ago on my Cube (Nuroad Pro) but I recently decided to sell it and get something less sportier.

I've been looking at many of your commuting bikes and started wondering, why most of them have drop bars.

My commute (about 9 miles), has become a lot healthier and I'm just 2-3 minutes slower since I started to use my old steel bike with a more upright riding position.
Half of my commute is in the city with many mostly red lights and even more chaotic people on e-scooters, (e-)bikes, pedestrians and of course cars. I found that having a more upright position helps get a better overview of my surroundings and with that makes life on the bike a lot more relaxing and safe.
Also compared to the "old steel truck" the Cube sometimes felt like a rocket and I tended to go faster than I should, seeing that I don't have access to a shower in my office. When I arrive at the office now, I'm a lot less stressed (physically and psychologically) but that may also come down to my age. I'm getting old... only a few good months left before I turn 30.

My question is why so many here commute with drop bars. Do you use the lower position of the bars a lot? Do you see a difference in riding in urban an rural areas? I know, it comes down to several different and mostly individual choices and preferences, but I'm interested to hear about your experiences with different choices of bars and riding positions. I'm just trying to figure out how I can get bike commuting to be a part of my life for many more years without destroying parts of my body.