View Single Post
Old 04-11-23, 01:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Focus instead on buying a tube that has a relatively wide (as measured folded flat) actual width, do not trust what is printed on the box or on the tube.
Tubes are "sized" all over the place relative to their rated sizing, so better to compare the width as presented right out of the box in the flattened state.

Don't use a tube narrower than 30mm (measured folded) in a 27x1-1/4" tire or it will have to stretch considerably to fill the volume of the tire casing.
With the tube so stretched, tiny thorn-type punctures will be pulled open to allow rapid loss of air, versus being able to ride home without stopping for a road-side repair.
So it's worthwhile to seek out the widest tubes that can be installed in your tires without issues such as having folds in the tube that might cause thumping when riding at high speed.
Wider tubes will tend to be heavier, but a tube rated for 32-38mm is often the best choice for use in these 27" wheel bikes I've found.
Not that I like waking up to a deflated tire, but it beats the alternative of having to fix one out on the road in blazing summer heat or with rain threatening.
What I like about using tubes that are "big" for the tire, is that they can afford to be thinner, so the weight penalty need not be too bad.

I appreciate charts like this that let you compare models easily: https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schwa...le_Ansicht.pdf The AV17, rated up to a 47-622 or 40-635, but not too big for a 28-622 (and a reasonable 150g), looks like it would be a good choice for the OP.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: