View Single Post
Old 04-18-23, 08:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Does Shimano compensate the stores for their time processing their warranty claims?
labor is not a covered aspect in nearly any bicycle industry warranty statement I have read (admittedly I stopped paying attention to this after I closed down my shop and went back to working for another). Just the same those companies with field reps and who really value their relationship with their retail dealers find a way to help out, although nearly never to the amount that it actually took for the entire process.

When I did have my own shop our store's warranty was that any part that was covered by the brand/supplier was also installed at no labor by us. I had sales reps who questioned this and would say I was missing profit. I would reply that I was at risk of loosing the customer's future business if I charged for warrantied part installation.

BTW the cost to present the part to an approved party (LBS, mail order, the brand itself) is also rarely covered. The shipping back to the shop or consumer is generally covered. Andy

I should have added to the labor coverage that my old shop offered was limited to bikes we sold.

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 04-18-23 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added content