View Single Post
Old 04-26-23, 05:43 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 338 Posts
I was gonna keep quiet but I'll chirp. Personally the big aggrieved energy is palpable here, and you seem more upset your son didn't make it to the big time than anything else. I've always kind of questioned your parenting vis a vis pushing your kid in cycling. When I started on this forum my kid was 2ish/3 and he's about to turn 12, so I've gotten some years of parenting under my belt. My son is not interesting in cycling at all (much to my chagrin, I'd love to ride together, but pushing my interests is a fruitless endeavor), and not interested in competitive sports period (although he does participate in a swim team prep program). You seem to treat sports as a means to get some other life advantages (pro contract/scholarships/whatever), and frankly, I wish we'd do away with athletic scholarships as a thing. I see sports as a way to encourage kids to adopt healthy habits, learn some life lessons on trying their best and losing with grace, and forming friendships. Maybe that's the case for you too, but it's never seemed that way. Hopefully your son has found a way to keep cycling in his life and is enjoying it in a non-competitive fashion.
Likes For hubcyclist: