View Single Post
Old 04-26-23, 05:45 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Between work (collecting beetle specimens as a biology graduate student) and play (road group rides with various local clubs and teams), I spent quite a bit of time on the northernmost few miles of the Trace when I lived in Nashville, back in 2009-2013. The terminus is definitely a bit anticlimactic and frankly none too beautiful. There is a sign, but it’s actually on the Trace itself, about a mile or so south of the terminus. Roughly midway between the dramatic bridge over Highway 96 and the actual terminus. I used to pull off near that spot frequently in my field work days, as there were sycamore trees nearby, and that’s what my beetles were eating.

As for cycling, I did enjoy riding on the Trace, but the narrow shoulder does mean there’s not a lot of room when someone decides to be a jerk. Still, the light traffic, good pavement and the lack of angry dogs to chase you make it a decent experience overall. Some of the country roads nearby are prettier and more interesting to ride, but they don’t have the historic sites or public restrooms that the Trace does. I never did get further south than maybe 20 or 30 miles from the northern terminus. I understand it gets quite bit straighter and flatter from there. I hope to get back out there at some point.