Old 04-27-23, 06:48 PM
backmd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stein freewheel tool

Originally Posted by dbhouston
Your're absolutely right, 79pmooney. No sense getting hung up on the date. Looks for all the world like a 1973: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora...talog-1973.pdf As always, BikeForums users know everything!

On the TA crank, I thought i'd pull the chainrings but ran into a surprising problem. The usual chainring tool (does it have a name?) that holds the back part of the bolt from turning doesn't fit. That's another special thing to buy or improvise, I assume?

I will say I'm pleased with the build quality all around. I've done other early 70's bikes that felt like everything was a fudge, but this is very well thought out. This is my first Huret experience, and I'm impressed: everything worked fine before I took it off.

It's an odd bike. LIke it was almost never ridden but was clearly serviced sometime in the 21st century. The stem and seatpost put up a little fight, but not much. Headset bearings were dry and sticky, which is what I expect from the BB, but there was no pitting and with new bearings and grease it's good as new. The bar tape is old-school plastic, but pristine. Hoods are hard but flawless. The Brooks B17 feels like new, if a bit dry (Proofide on there overnight will start to bring it back to life). The list goes on.

Crazy good buy, And at least I have to buy a new tools for the TA crank! Which reminds me, I have a few freehweel tools, but none that fit this Maillard, which I may just clean and oil from the outside.
After paying the shop 20 bucks to get the crank off I bit the bullet and got the Stein freewheel tool, like 40 bucks for the Stronglight crank tool.
Likes For backmd: