View Single Post
Old 04-29-23, 06:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked 5,106 Times in 3,151 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I'm still living that 10sp on 25mm tires life. I've tried to hack it by using wider rims so now those 25mm tires measure out to 26-27mm 😁 I've got gravel bikes (on the CX/all-road end of the gravel spectrum) that are 3lbs heavier and even with 32mm open tubular slicks they are subjectively and objectively slower (like 2mph average speed slower - but that's also partly because I don't enjoy pushing myself as hard on the heavier bikes). It would be great to have a road bike that can run 30mm slicks and still be super light.

So you don't feel slower, or the heavier weight doesn't bother your enjoyment of the ride on your modern wider tire electronic shifting bike?
2 mph slower average is a massive difference. Certainly not attributable to 3 lb weight or equivalent 25 vs 32 mm tyres. They certainly wouldn't be racing Paris-Roubaix on 32 mm tyres if they were 2 mph average slower on pavement!

For reference I gained about 10 lb in weight over the winter and I'm about 1 kph slower on alpine climbs at the same power. On flatter terrain I can't see any difference in average speed. Bike weight is over-rated when talking about differences in groupsets and tyres. Got to put things in perspective.